How to maintain Milk Kefir Grains?
Dairy kefir is a cultured milk beverage known for its numerous probiotic benefits. It’s a fermented milk product high in beneficial yeast and bacteria. After purchasing kefir grains, many people make kefir at home. Kefir grains are typically tiny chunks of bacteria and yeast mixed with sugars, fats, caseins, and milk proteins. Kefir grains can be kept for an indefinite period if adequately cared for. If the kefir grains are correctly stored, you can make a new batch of kefir every day. To do so, you must observe some dos and don’ts when handling kefir grains.
- It would help if you never mixed kefir grains with tap water. This is because the chemicals present in tap water, such as fluorine and chlorine, can cause potential damage to the kefir grains. Therefore, you must use filtered or mineral water devoid of these chemicals.
- You must not overheat or boil the kefir grains, as too much heat can kill the beneficial bacteria present in kefir.
- You must use glass, plastic, or wooden utensils while preparing kefir. The best choice is glass utensils as they are easy to sterilize. However, it would help if you did not use metal utensils at any cost. This is because kefir reacts with metals. Thus, metal can contaminate the kefir you are preparing.
- It would be beneficial if you did not freeze the kefir grains. The fermentation process is slowed or stopped by freezing. Many kefir grains cannot be revived after they have been frozen. They immediately go into a deep-sleep-freeze-phase on freezing. The method of restoring frozen kefir grains is complicated. A better option is to dry the kefir grains.
- It would be best to store the kefir grains in a clean jar. The jar containing kefir grains must always be covered with a cloth so that you can prevent the grains from contamination.
- It would help if you did not starve the kefir grains. You must change the milk after 48 hours. When the kefir grains are fed with fresh milk, they stay alive and active.
- Though there are no fixed kefir grains to milk ratio, the general rule is to use 1 part kefir grains and ten parts milk by volume. Milk is the food for bacteria and yeasts.
Where Can I Get Kefir Grains in Belgium or Holland?
You’ll need kefir grains if you want to make your kefir from scratch. While purchasing kefir grains is more expensive than buying a bottle of kefir, to begin with, you will end up with an almost limitless supply of kefir. You may be wondering how it is possible to post kefir grains online without them spoiling. Kefir grains can be dried, allowing them to be easily stored and delivered.
Best places in Belgium to buy kefir grains:
- Live Milk Kefir Grains are available online at Kefirshop.eu
- Amazon.nl, because of the vast selection, generally low prices, and convenient delivery options, Amazon is the first place most of us look for when shopping online. On Amazon, you can purchase kefir grains from a variety of brands.