How to make authentic milk kefir ?
How to make Milk Kefir
To make authentic milk kefir, you need to get the supplies ready and follow the steps carefully. Here is the step by step direction on making original milk kefir:
- Get the supplies ready: First of all, you need milk, but you should ensure that the milk is not lactose-free or ultra-pasteurized. Raw milk or low-fat milk is preferred. Next, you would need a strainer made of stainless steel or nylon. The other supplies you would require are a bowl, a jar, a breathable lid, a plastic spoon, vanilla, or fruit extract.
- Prepare the kefir grains: To prepare the kefir grains, strain off the kefir milk in which they are dispersed. Then, rinse the kefir grains in a bowl with spring water or milk. Strain off and rinse again till you are satisfied.
- Feed the kefir grains: After the kefir grains are prepared, you must feed the kefir grains adequately. Place the kefir grains in a sterile jar and fill the pot with milk. You must ensure that the jar is large enough to have adequate space between the lid and the milk. The ideal ratio is for every one teaspoon of kefir grains, and you need 1 cup of milk.
- Cover and ferment: The jar should then be covered with a breathable lid. You can use a coffee filter or a paper towel. However, please do not use a cloth with large holes as it will result in contamination. It would help if you kept the jar in a cool place. Sunlight is not required. Allow the kefir grains to ferment for about 24 hours.
- Determine if the kefir is ready: It is pretty tricky to determine when the kefir is ready. Tilt the jar slightly to see whether it is gel-like or runny. If you find that it is gel-like, be sure that your kefir is ready. It has been found that fermentation is faster in summer than in winter.
- Strain the finished kefir: Place the strainer over a plastic bowl or bowl made of stainless steel. Pour the contents of the entire jar into your strainer. Allow it to strain slowly. You can use a sterile spoon to stir the kefir so that it strains through the bowl perfectly, leaving behind the grains in the strainer.
- Add flavors: You can mix fruit extract with the strained kefir to enhance its taste.
These are the seven steps that you need to follow to make milk kefir. You can store the kefir grains in the jar to feed them with fresh milk and repeat the process.