Milk Kefir vs Yogurt
Difference between Milk Kefir and Yogurt
Here are the chief differences between milk kefir and yogurt
- The consistency of milk kefir is much thinner than that of yogurt. It is usually obtained as a beverage. You can pour some milk kefir over a cereal, drink it or combine it with fruits to make a smoothie. On the other hand, the consistency of yogurt is thicker, and it cannot be drunk.
- Both yogurt and dairy kefir contain probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and beneficial yeasts that are usually found in the intestine of humans. They restrict the growth of harmful bacteria, which can cause diseases and boost the body’s immune system. Milk kefir contains three times the probiotics that are present in yogurt. When kefir is made, milk is generally fermented with a mixture of almost 20 various types of probiotic yeasts and bacteria. Since there is a higher probiotic count in milk kefir, it has more health benefits than yogurt. Your immune system will be boosted, and you will stay healthy.
- Individuals who are lactose intolerant can tolerate milk kefir, but they cannot take yogurt. This is because the plenty of beneficial bacteria present in milk kefir would digest the lactose in the milk. Therefore the lactose that would be left in kefir is almost 1%. So lactose intolerant individuals can easily have milk kefir.
- Milk kefir contains plenty of beneficial yeasts such as Torula kefir and Saccharomyces kefir that eliminate the pathogenic yeasts from the body. They keep the intestine clean and healthy. These beneficial yeasts are not present in yogurt.
- Milk kefir is also easier to digest than yogurt because of the smaller curd size of kefir. This makes milk kefir a nutritious and ideal food for older people, babies, and people having chronic digestive disorders.
Though yogurt is a more popular food, you must try milk kefir because of its many health benefits. You will surely notice an improvement in your digestive health. It is better to have yogurt and milk kefir in simple form than in fruit flavors.