What is the best way to rehydrate water kefir grains?
How to activate Water Kefir Grains?
Water kefir is a very healthy beverage, and It’s made with sugar, water, and water kefir grains. The plenty of probiotics present in this fermented beverage can improve the digestive system of your body. Water kefir grains are different from milk kefir grains. The milk kefir grains are white, whereas the water kefir grains look more like semi-transparent crystals.
Though you can easily buy fresh kefir grains, using dehydrated kefir grains is a better idea. Especially if you have a friend who regularly makes water kefir, she will indeed have some stored dry grains that you can use to make kefir. It is sometimes difficult to buy fresh kefir grains in this fast-paced life as they have to be dealt with right away. Dried grains can be used whenever you have time.
How to Rehydrate or Activate Water Kefir Grains?
Rehydrating water kefir grains is not a difficult task. Here is the detailed process to rehydrate kefir water grains:
- The dehydrated kefir grains would look yellowish-brown or reddish-brown when you would purchase them.
- Instructions are generally written on the back cover of dehydrated kefir grains, gently soaking the dry grains in a sugar mixture and keeping it undisturbed for a few days. It is better to wash the dehydrated grains in the sugar mixture for about 3-4 days.
- To rehydrate the water kefir grains, you need to prepare the sugar mixture first at room temperature. Take four cups of water and dissolve 4-6 tablespoons of sugar in it. Stir the water so that the sugar gets dissolved in it. Please use mineral water or purified water instead of chlorinated water. You can use either brown sugar or white sugar, depending on your preference.
- Now you should pour the sugar water mixture into a big glass jar. Add the dehydrated kefir grains to the pot.
- Now cover the glass jar with a coffee filter or a tea towel. You can fasten it with the help of a rubber band.
- Allow the grains to become plump in the sugar water mixture. Let the grains get appropriately rehydrated for about 4-7 days.
- After the water kefir grains have undergone rehydration, the grains would look plump and thick. 2 spoons of dried kefir grains can enlarge to almost 1/3rd.
Thus, you can see that the process of rehydrating kefir water grains is so simple and easy. Once you have rehydrated the kefir water grains, you can proceed with making water kefir.
Water Kefir Is a Natural Low-Sugar Fizzy Drink
Do you want a healthier alternative to sugary fizzy drinks? Water Kefir is exactly what you need. Water Kefir is a fermented drink high in beneficial bacteria. It is easily flavored, incredibly versatile, and simple to make, and some find it more palatable than kombucha, providing a pleasant alternative to commercial soft drinks. Water kefir has a pleasant flavor similar to a dry, slightly fizzy lemonade, and even young kids can enjoy it. Like many probiotic beverages, that mildly fermented flavor takes some getting used to, especially if you’re used to overly sweet, sugary beverages. Water kefir is an amazing source of micronutrients, enzymes, and beneficial bacteria, ranking among the top ten probiotics and a great dairy-free alternative to milk kefir.
Where can I buy Kombucha SCOBY?
You must exercise caution when purchasing kombucha SCOBY because it can make or break the flavors, texture, and taste of your Kombucha tea. If you buy pasteurized kombucha, no SCOBY will grow out of it for potential use. As a result, to begin your kombucha fermenting journey, you must purchase a high-quality mother SCOBY with the proper balance of microbes and good vitality.
KefirShop’s Kombucha SCOBY is one of the best. You can use it to make a deliciously flavored kombucha at home. Because it is grown with the manufacturer’s hand-selected, black premium tea, we considered it one of the best SCOBY cultures. What makes it even better is that it comes with a powerful starter liquid. This means it comes with everything you need to get started brewing your own Kombucha. This SCOBY has been cultured to retain its probiotic properties. You can use this high-quality SCOBY to brew Kombucha continuously. As you brew, it will continue to multiply and grow. You can also give the extra kombucha SCOBY to family and friends.