How to dehydrate kefir grains?
Dehydrating kefir grains
People dehydrate kefir grains to keep a backup in case anything happens to the original set of grains. The dehydrated grains can survive till one year. Moreover, dry kefir grains are so much easier to transport than wet kefir grains. There will be no concern regarding the liquid leaking out of the package if you transport dehydrated kefir grains to someplace. When kefir grains are dehydrated, they become dormant. Hence you don’t have to worry about the packaging of the kefir grains.
The procedure of dehydrating kefir grains :
- At first, rinse the kefir grains properly with water. It would be better to use mineral water or purified water instead of tap water because the chlorine content in tap water is high. This is done to get rid of sediments that may have accumulated from fermentation.
- Now, layout the washed grains on a paper towel to drip off the excess water.
- After the paper towel has soaked the excess water, lay the kefir grains carefully on a clean glass dish, wax paper, or parchment paper.
- Next, cover the dish with a paper towel. If you do not cover it, the grains may get contaminated by flies and insects. Allow the kefir grains to dry slowly at room temperature. You will see that they have turned yellow and hard after some days. Alternatively, you can use a food dehydrator to dry the kefir grains. You should set the dehydrator at the lowest temperature. However, this process is not much recommended because the kefir grains are pretty sensitive to heat.
- Generally, the kefir grains take 3-5 days to get dried. This is primarily in the case of large kefir grains. If the grains are small, then they will get dried within two days.
- After the kefir grains are properly dried, you can store them in a freezer or refrigerator.
Live Kefir grains for sale in Belgium & Holland
KefirShop.eu is the largest organic certified live cultures supplier in Belgium, including kombucha SCOBY’s, yogurt starters, and many other cultures. We have a great reputation for providing high-quality live cultures with FREE delivery throughout Belgium and Holland. We are passionate about our products and are pleased to provide you with a product that is superior to any other available. Make sure to read our store’s customer reviews! Why go shopping elsewhere? Purchase directly from Belgium’s best and most respected supplier of certified organic live cultures, with a history of providing only the highest quality live cultures. When you purchase one of our live cultures, you will receive a step-by-step guide; follow the instructions, and you will be up and running in no time.