Healthy cultured dairy products
Cultured dairy products are healthy and nutritious. You can find the popularity of cultured products everywhere around the globe. They are consumed in large quantities in every country. Probiotic dairy products such as cultured yogurt and kefir are loved by all people as they have tremendous beneficial properties.
If you think that cultured dairy products mean only yogurt and kefir, then you are absolutely wrong. There are many more cultured dairy products such as Bonny Clabber, Matsoni, Ayran and Viili about which you will read in this article. So, here are the 8 healthy and wonderful, cultured dairy products that you must include in your diet:
- Kefir: Kefir is a popular cultured dairy product. When kefir grains are mixed with raw milk, kefir is obtained. Kefir grains are symbiotic clusters of beneficial bacteria and yeast. The kefir grains are spongy and small. It looks like cottage cheese. This cultured dairy product has a strikingly tart taste with effervescence. This is the reason why it takes people some time to get used to this beverage. Kefir is highly rich in folic acid and many more nutrients. The origin of kefir is the Caucasus region. It takes around 1 day or longer for the fermentation of kefir.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is the most popular cultured dairy product which is liked by everyone. The most unique thing about yogurt is that it is a thermophilic dairy food product. In order to culture properly, yogurt requires heat. In order to make yogurt, you need to culture milk with thermophilic bacteria that is capable of producing lactic acid. The most popular strain of bacteria that is used in yogurt is Lactobacillus bulgaricus. You can use a yogurt maker to make yogurt. You need a starter culture and a heat source in order to make yogurt.
Make Yogurt at Home - Homemade Yogurt
Filmjolk: This is a wonderful Swedish cultured dairy product. It has a mild sour taste. It is a tasty cultured dairy product. In order to make Filmjolk, you need to culture it at room temperature. You do not require a heat source to culture Filmjolk. The strains of bacteria that are used to make Filmjolk are Leuconostoc mesenteroides and Lactococcus lactis. The tangy taste of this cultured dairy product is because of these strains of bacteria.
- Ayran: When yogurt is mixed with salt, the cultured dairy product is known as Ayran. It is a cold beverage that is extremely popular in Turkey and the other Turkic countries such as Iran, Bulgaria and Armenia. People often describe Ayran as diluted yogurt. Ayran is a great drink to consume during the summer. It is served chilled. It is a traditional and popular Turkish drink.
Matsoni: It is a delicious cultured dairy product of Eastern Europe. It is said that the beneficial properties of Matsoni help in prolonging life. Some unique strains of bacteria that are capable of producing lactic acid are used to make Matsoni. Therefore, it has a mild sour taste and a slight syrupy consistency. Children love to have Matsoni especially in their breakfast. Many people also love to have Matsoni by pouring it over the fruits. Matsoni is easy to prepare as it is mesophilic.
Matsoni Yogurt also known as Caspian Sea Yogurt
Viili: This is another wonderful, cultured dairy product. It has a Scandinavian origin. Although Viili is a popular beverage of Sweden, it is also quite popular in Finland. The gelatinous and ropy texture of Viili is obtained due to the combination of lactic acid bacteria and yeast. Viili has a mid sour flavor which is liked by children and people who are trying sour probiotic dairy products for the first time. Traditionally, Viili is served with gooseberry jam or any other kind of sweetener. Since it can be cultured at normal temperature, you do not require a yogurt maker for making Viili.
Blaand: This is a traditional and popular drink of Scotland. Blaand is prepared for many years in Scotland. However, most people have never tasted Blaand even once in their lives. Blaand generally has an alcohol content that is similar to wine after fermentation. However, if blaand is fermented for too long, then you would get an unpleasant taste. It would taste more like vinegar.
- Bonny Clabber: This is another traditional and popular cultured dairy food of Scotland and the Southern United States. Bonny clabber is eaten generally at breakfast with cinnamon, molasses and nutmeg. This dairy product does not require any starter. The probiotic properties of Bonny Clabber arise directly from the natural flora that is present in milk and in your surroundings. It is easy to make. You only need raw whole milk to make this cultured dairy food.
So, these are the 8 healthy and wonderful, cultured dairy products that you can include in your diet to maintain good health. If you are bored with yogurt and kefir, then this is the time to try some new cultured dairy foods such as Matsoni, Viili or Ayran.
is popular as the best source of the lactic acid bacteria.However, not all yogurt products contain the significant numbers of live culture of lactobacillus or say bifidobacterium, because bacteria generally does not survive in the manufacturing procedure. Some yogurts possess
live culture added by the manufacturers. Several bacteria live in the human intestines, providing a beneficial parasitic relationship which benefits us and them.. Bifidobacterium produces lactic acid as its end product of the process of fermentation. In some cases, bacteria can be killed and ends up having no probiotic benefit.
Bifidobacterium yogurt is Bifidobacterium yogurt is
that yogurt, which is usually cultured with the bacteria from genus Bifidobacterium. The commonly used Bifidobacterium in the yogurts or in any other dairy product is the Bifidobacterium animalis and the Bifidobacterium bifidum. The bacteria is probiotic well known for the positive advantages on human digestion. Several types of harmless bacteria may be used for culturing yogurt, and most of the yogurts
are made by using a blend of different bacteria. The bifidobacterium yogurt is however common, not very common like yogurts prepared with other kinds of live culture.
Yogurt is prepared by adding the live cultures of several bacteria in the milk and allowing milk for fermentation. The live culture includes bacteria from different generation and most of them are good for health. Non-dairy yogurt can be made into the bifidobacterium yogurt. The usual non-dairy bases of yogurt include soy, rice and coconut milk. Additives to yogurts of this kind help to mimic the textures of dairy based yogurts while the addition of Bifidobacterium or other bacteria provide the alternative yogurt the same benefits which dairy yogurts made with the live cultures have.
While the bifidobacterium yogurt
is consumed, some live cultures in the yogurt stay behind in our digestive tract. These types of bacteria starts colonize the inner walls of the large intestine. In the large intestine, with the help of it nutrients are broken down for further digestion. It helps to prevent infestation from harmful bacteria by taking most of the much helpful nutrients which could feed the bacteria. These bacteria helps to get rid of the oxygen and lower potential hydrogen (pH) of the digestive tract, which makes it an inhospitable situation for other kinds of bacteria. Several medical studies have been assuming that eating this, bifidobacterium yogurt does help protect us from invasion of harmful bacteria.
Most of the bacteria in the bifidobacterium yogurt do not remain in our digestive tract, as in large amounts wastes pass out from our body. Though most of the helpful bacteria don't remain in any person's body, the presence in our digestive tract, it actually believed to help in decreasing the amount of time taken for food to pass through.
Difference between Kefir and Yogurt
Both yogurt and milk kefir are cultured milk products. Both the foods are good for health as they are rich in calcium, protein, vitamin B and potassium. They are a little sour in taste and have an identical tart. Both yogurt and milk kefir can be found in plain form and in different fruit flavors. The live kefir cultures used to produce both yogurt and milk kefir results in the breakdown of the milk sugar. This facilitates lactose digestion. Their primary difference lies in the types and numbers of beneficial bacteria contained in them.
Here are the chief differences between milk kefir and yogurt
- The consistency of milk kefir is much thinner than that of yogurt. It is usually obtained as a beverage. You can pour some milk kefir over a cereal, drink it or combine it with fruits to make smoothie. On the other hand, the consistency of yogurt is thicker and it cannot be drunk.
- Both yogurt and dairy kefir contains probiotics. Probiotics are beneficial bacteria and beneficial yeasts that are normally found in the intestine of humans. They restrict the growth of harmful bacteria which can cause diseases and also boosts the immune system of the body. Milk kefir contains three times the probiotics that are present in yogurt. When kefir is made, milk is generally fermented with a mixture of almost 20 various types of probiotic yeasts and bacteria. Since there is a higher probiotic count in milk kefir, it has more health benefits than yogurt. Your immune system will be boosted and you will stay healthy.
- The individuals who are totally lactose intolerant can tolerate milk kefir but they cannot tolerate yogurt. This is because the plenty of beneficial bacteria present in milk kefir would digest the lactose in the milk. Therefore the lactose that would be left in kefir is almost 1%. So lactose intolerant individuals can easily have milk kefir.
- Milk kefir contains plenty of beneficial yeasts such as Torula kefir and Saccharomyces kefir that eliminates the pathogenic yeasts from the body. They keep the intestine clean and healthy. These beneficial yeasts are not present in yogurt.
- Milk kefir is also easier to digest than yogurt because of the smaller curd size of kefir. This makes milk kefir a nutritious and ideal food for the elderly people, babies and people having chronic digestive disorders.
Kefir is a fermented milk product similar to yogurt
Though yogurt is a more popular food, you must try milk kefir because of its plenty of health benefits. You will surely notice improvement in your digestive health. It is better to have yogurt and milk kefir in plain form than in fruit flavors.