Healthy cultured dairy products
- Kefir: Kefir is a popular cultured dairy product. When kefir grains are mixed with raw milk, kefir is obtained. Kefir grains are symbiotic clusters of beneficial bacteria and yeast. The kefir grains are spongy and small. It looks like cottage cheese. This cultured dairy product has a strikingly tart taste with effervescence. This is the reason why it takes people some time to get used to this beverage. Kefir is highly rich in folic acid and many more nutrients. The origin of kefir is the Caucasus region. It takes around 1 day or longer for the fermentation of kefir.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is the most popular cultured dairy product which is liked by everyone. The most unique thing about yogurt is that it is a thermophilic dairy food product. In order to culture properly, yogurt requires heat. In order to make yogurt, you need to culture milk with thermophilic bacteria that is capable of producing lactic acid. The most popular strain of bacteria that is used in yogurt is Lactobacillus bulgaricus. You can use a yogurt maker to make yogurt. You need a starter culture and a heat source in order to make yogurt.
- Filmjolk: This is a wonderful Swedish cultured dairy product. It has a mild sour taste. It is a tasty cultured dairy product. In order to make Filmjolk, you need to culture it at room temperature. You do not require a heat source to culture Filmjolk. The strains of bacteria that are used to make Filmjolk are Leuconostoc mesenteroides and Lactococcus lactis. The tangy taste of this cultured dairy product is because of these strains of bacteria.
- Ayran: When yogurt is mixed with salt, the cultured dairy product is known as Ayran. It is a cold beverage that is extremely popular in Turkey and the other Turkic countries such as Iran, Bulgaria and Armenia. People often describe Ayran as diluted yogurt. Ayran is a great drink to consume during the summer. It is served chilled. It is a traditional and popular Turkish drink.
Matsoni: It is a delicious cultured dairy product of Eastern Europe. It is said that the beneficial properties of Matsoni help in prolonging life. Some unique strains of bacteria that are capable of producing lactic acid are used to make Matsoni. Therefore, it has a mild sour taste and a slight syrupy consistency. Children love to have Matsoni especially in their breakfast. Many people also love to have Matsoni by pouring it over the fruits. Matsoni is easy to prepare as it is mesophilic.
- Viili: This is another wonderful, cultured dairy product. It has a Scandinavian origin. Although Viili is a popular beverage of Sweden, it is also quite popular in Finland. The gelatinous and ropy texture of Viili is obtained due to the combination of lactic acid bacteria and yeast. Viili has a mid sour flavor which is liked by children and people who are trying sour probiotic dairy products for the first time. Traditionally, Viili is served with gooseberry jam or any other kind of sweetener. Since it can be cultured at normal temperature, you do not require a yogurt maker for making Viili.
- Blaand: This is a traditional and popular drink of Scotland. Blaand is prepared for many years in Scotland. However, most people have never tasted Blaand even once in their lives. Blaand generally has an alcohol content that is similar to wine after fermentation. However, if blaand is fermented for too long, then you would get an unpleasant taste. It would taste more like vinegar.
- Bonny Clabber: This is another traditional and popular cultured dairy food of Scotland and the Southern United States. Bonny clabber is eaten generally at breakfast with cinnamon, molasses and nutmeg. This dairy product does not require any starter. The probiotic properties of Bonny Clabber arise directly from the natural flora that is present in milk and in your surroundings. It is easy to make. You only need raw whole milk to make this cultured dairy food.