Mostly, you have everything in your kitchen to make yogurt except possibly a good thermometer. It is true that the best yogurt is the one that you make yourself.
The reasons why homemade yogurt is the best are as follows :
- it tastes much better than the yogurt that you buy from shops
- since no sugar, preservatives or chemicals are added to the homemade yogurt
- it is good for your health
- it is also less expensive than the yogurt obtained in shops
- there is also no packaging waste when you are making yogurt at home
Due to these four reasons, many people make their yogurt at home. It is not difficult to make yogurt at home. You can do it even without the use of yogurt maker. You would require only 7 hours and 25 minutes for making yogurt at home. You would require 25 minutes for the preparation and around 7 hours for the incubation process.
The ingredients required for making yogurt at home :
- you would first require about 1,5 liter of pasteurized milk for making yogurt at home
- you would also require 2-3 tablespoons of plain yogurt, which is the starter
The equipments required for making yogurt at home :
- stock pot (WECK)
- pot with lid
- plastic or metal spoon
- heating pad
The directions for making yogurt at home :
After getting the ingredients and equipments ready, you should follow the following steps to make yogurt at home:
At first, a double boiler should be created using 2 stock pots. The milk should be brought to 85° Celsius.
The milk should be constantly stirred to avoid formation of skin.
Next, the milk should be cooled to 42° Celsius with the aid of a cold water bath. The milk should be again constantly stirred to avoid formation of skin.
Now, 2-3 tablespoons of plain yogurt should be poured into the milk. It should be stirred thoroughly.
After adding the yogurt, the milk should be properly covered and placed on a heating pad. It should be left undisturbed for about 7 hours.
Now, the pot should be removed from the heating pad. It should be stirred well again.
Lastly, it should be refrigerated overnight.
By following these simple steps, you would be able to get homemade yogurt. It tastes lovely and the recipe can be further adjusted according to your preferences.